The Beauty of Hand-me-downs

So the woman Erik met the other day who’s on assisted living came by today to get the other things she had wanted to get. She’s a single mom and to top it off it turns out her little boy is on a transplant list. We decided we want to give her as much as we can since we are getting rid of a lot anyway.

Tonight we brought by the air conditioner that used to be my parent’s. It’s very old but it still works wonderfully. She was so grateful she almost started to cry and even hugged me. She kept saying you don’t know what this means to me and I was really glad we could do this for her. Erik brought in the air conditioner and set it up for her.

Later this week or over the weekend we’re going to bring her our dining room table, chairs and anything else we can get over there. She kept offering to give us money but how in the world could we have taken any money?

Anyway, it was a big reminder of how lucky we are and how much we take for granted. It was also a reminder of how far we’ve come over the years. We weren’t even close to as bad off as she was 3 years ago but we didn’t have much. We took any hand-me-downs we were offered and were so thankful.

1. Gemini

June 28, 2006 at 9:07 am

that is supper nice! :heartbeat:

2. Chris

June 28, 2006 at 1:15 pm

It must be an amazing feeling to be making a difference to someone else’s life.

June 28, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Chris – it really was although I feel a bit shitty for posting about it (like I’m bragging) but the whole experience was just so wonderful I wanted to share it. I’ve always really liked doing things for other people that make them happy.

4. Sarah

June 28, 2006 at 5:54 pm

That is nice. When we got relocated to Boston for Katrina, this great couple pretty much gave us the contents of their basement to furnish our empty 1-bed apartment. I really wanted to donate the furniture when I left, so we did. It seemed right to pass on people’s niceness.

June 28, 2006 at 9:35 pm

Sarah – That is a really nice story.

6. Blueyes

June 28, 2006 at 10:47 pm

Aw, now that is the best thing isn’t it? Giving to someone who needs it :heartbeat:

7. Krayzee Chickadee

June 29, 2006 at 11:10 am

“I guess getting hand-me-downs isn’t so bad, it means you can hand it down to someone else who needs it when you don’t need it anymore.”
    This is so *very* true. I have been married for 16.5 years, and we still have hand-me-downs in our house. Our whole life together started with hand-me-downs. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to help someone in need.

June 29, 2006 at 11:15 am

KC – I think we all have a few hand-me-downs that we have forever. We still have a lot of stuff that was given to us to help us out. Eventually I’d really like a bed of our own, that would be nice 😀

9. Kentucky Girl

June 30, 2006 at 12:45 am

Aww….Robin, that’s so nice of you to help her out. I did that when I moved from Phoenix to California. An immigrant family had moved in to the apartment next to mine (I lived in an apartment after I sold my condo.) And they had basically clothes and that was it. So I gave them the furniture that I was getting rid of, linens, a full kitchen of canisters, dishes, pots and pans, utensils, flatware (I took my glasses because I LOVE them.) The lady was so grateful and so nice. She cooked me dinner for three straight nights. I wonder whatever happened to them.

June 30, 2006 at 6:40 am