In Bad Taste

Is it in bad taste to make a housewarming gift registry?  Keep in mind we’re not married and have had mostly hand-me-downs all this time.  Is it bad to have a list of things we’d like if someone wants to get it for us?

1. heather(anne)

June 13, 2006 at 2:18 pm

That’s a very good question because I wondered the same thing for when I get a house. Personally, I don’t think it’s in bad taste. Otherwise, how are people going to know what to give you for your new house?

But I’m curious to see what other people think.

June 13, 2006 at 2:19 pm

If someone were having a housewarming party and had a registry I’d use it :dunno: I guess they can always give money or gift cards if they want but it would be nice to give real ideas.

3. Kathy

June 13, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Think of it this way…if things aren’t purchased for a HW party…you help the family out with Christmas!

Plus, it’s a great way to store ideas until you save the cash. (=

I use —> http://www.thethingsiwant.com/ as my on-going wish list. It helps friends/family/the hubby for birthday & Christmas.

Have fun! :willy_nilly:

4. Heather B

June 13, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Nothing wrong with it at all IMO 🙂

5. J.D.

June 13, 2006 at 4:58 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with it at all.

I also agree with Kathy, if noone buys anything now, at least they’ll know what you and Erik would like come Christmas time 🙂

6. Tara

June 13, 2006 at 7:46 pm

I think people that are bothered by it are people who no one would buy things for. 🙂

When I moved into my first apartment, I had an apartment shower. I registered after people kept asking my mom what I wanted/needed.

I say register. If people are bothered by it, then phooey on them.

7. Gemini

June 15, 2006 at 7:47 am

LOL

I would buy you something from your registry… but some from the Old school… and you know who I mean may find it a bit forward…

The thing is no one is “required” to buy anything for a house warming party…(though I have never been to a HW party with out giving something Wine a candle or something to make the place look bright) It is a gesture of welcome for your new home.

I am sure that it stems from history about a man and a woman moving in together much like the shower was in the day…

If you create one let me know and I will pass the word

June 15, 2006 at 8:44 am

:thumbsup: I’ll let you know…the party wouldn’t be for a while anyway.