Movies that changed my life

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Movies That Changed My Life

1. Goonies – it was the first movie I probably ever obsessed over and the first time I ever had a crush on a movie character (Mikey).
2. Dutch – I fell madly in love with Ethan Randall/Embry from that movie and it was my life for a long time.
3. The Usual Suspects – I saw this in 1996 and I honestly didn’t know a movie blow me away like that. I watched it a second time right afterwards in complete awe.
4. The Breakfast Club – I think I must have seen this movie at just the right time because it really hit a cord with me and somehow made me feel better. I think I still can recite the dialogue while watching it. Oh and I used to have a mad crush on Emilio Estevez.
5. Say Anything – I just adored Lloyd and wanted to find a Lloyd one day for myself. Luckily I found one 😀
6. Tommy Boy – I did not want to see this movie, I was too good for this movie. I laughed my fucking ass off watching this movie.
7. Donnie Darko – It was different and it was complicated. It also brought Jake into my life for good 😉
8. Schindler’s List – It really made the Holocaust real to me and very personal. I always sing the song with them at the end that I learned in private school.
9. Noises Off – I’m not sure I’ve ever laughed so much as when I watched this movie and I think most people haven’t seen it. I need to watch it again to see if it has the same effect.
10. The Accused – I watched it with my parents when I was 12, like I did a lot of movies over the years, and had nightmares for 2 weeks because of the graphic gang rape scene.
11. Night of the Creeps – Those slug-like alien things scared the bejesus out of me, I mean chills up my spine and cold sweats terrified.
12. Stand By Me – I have a bizarre fear of people throwing up (the act itself not the vomit) and leaches because of that movie. To this day I cannot watch the vomit scene, I will close my eyes or leave the room. If there is someone throwing up on screen now I will likely scream and start humming to myself.
13. American Beauty – I was a big fan of Kevin Spacey already but never had he been so fantastic on screen to the point where I simply couldn’t take my eyes off him. I saw this movie in the theater five times and make it a point to watch it every few months. The colors, the emotion, the music and the goose bumps it gave me (and I still get). At the end of the movie everytime he ends that speech with “but someday you will” I just get filled with this immense feeling I cannot describe. The screen then goes dark and I can’t help but give a standing ovation even if I’m alone.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Ardice Debi hterry Karen Philosiphical Karen KT Cat Tracy Debbie Ginger LifeCruiser

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

1. Ardice

April 20, 2006 at 7:49 am

I haven’t seen some of these movies yet. I’ll have to check them out when I get a chance. Thanks for stopping by my TT. Have a wonderful day. Take-Care…

2. Debi

April 20, 2006 at 8:06 am

Wow! I’ve only seen 3 of these movies. Thanks for sharing!

3. Karen

April 20, 2006 at 8:26 am

I still can’t watch that scene in Stand by Me, either. my tt are up

4. Philosophical Karen

April 20, 2006 at 9:01 am

Hi, I’ve seen you commenting on Gary’s blog (Views From My Garden) so when I saw you in the Thursday Thirteen list I came by. This is an interesting take on movies. I always liked The Breakfast Club too. I played Thursday Thirteen this week.

5. K T Cat

April 20, 2006 at 9:12 am

A lot of these movies are ones I haven’t seen. Hmm. Time to visit Blockbuster.

Here’s mine:

6. Tracy

April 20, 2006 at 11:14 am

4,5 6 are 3 of my favorites! Donnie Darko was freaky! We saw it years ago and then we rented it about a month ago again. Freaky. I love that song though, “mad world” by gary jules…..

my 13 are up

7. Debbie

April 20, 2006 at 11:42 am

Loved Stand By Me, Breakfast Club, and Goonies. I must live in a bubble because I haven’t seen the rest. Heard of a few but not seen. My TT is up.

8. Cinthia

April 20, 2006 at 12:48 pm

To this day, Schindler’s List remains my second favorite movie of all time after The Godfather. I also can’t forget The Usual Suspects and Donnie Darko. The theme song for the latter, Mad World, is one of my favorite songs of all time. As for American Beauty, it was a good film, but I honestly can’t remember much about it. And I’m dying to see The Accused because I think Jodie Foster is an acting goddess.

9. Ginger

April 20, 2006 at 12:57 pm

I love Breakfast Club and Stand by Me. Great list!

10. Tomward

April 20, 2006 at 7:42 pm

Kevin Spacey is so HOT right now, well like 5 years ago I guess. I like your life changing movies, especially the goonies, that will always be a classic.

11. Lifecruiser

April 21, 2006 at 7:42 am

Wow. I’ve seen some of them, but cant say that movies effect me that much. Very few – some of the ones that is from real life. I prefer to experience the reality, I guess 🙂

My TT is just strange 😉

12. catherine

April 21, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Great 13 list.
    I LOVE Goonies. One of the best movies ever. I still watch it a lot with my 10 year old son.

13. Leanne

April 21, 2006 at 7:15 pm

Oooh. Say Anything. Definitely. Serendipity, The Notebook – they’re all sappy for me!