The next step to being a grownup

That would be getting a house or actually the next step is getting approved for a loan to get a house. Isn’t that crazy? Well it’s completely insane to me because at my age I thought I’d be living in NYC in an apartment and single but then again I thought I’d be Carrie Bradshaw 😉

Seriously though, we put in the forms to request a loan and I’m waiting to hear if we’re approved. See because my boyfriend got divorced and had a house he had to be bought out of. That means we’re now getting out of debt and planning our future. I’m still in fear that this won’t happen, I just can’t imagine actually owning a house :O

We’ve looked at a few houses in person so far and many online. I guess it all depends on what we are approved for and we’re planning to continue to live in the area we live in now. It would be ideal to live closer to Boston but we learned very quickly that we’d have to sell our bodies to science to afford that. I suppose my commute will be a part of my life forever unless I win the lottery (which I never play) 😀

This past weekend we even looked at a condo, just for the hell of it. It was nice, it had a back porch and a gorgous kitchen. It had a garage we could fit both cars in and the most exciting thing about owning a place of any kind is having a washer and dryer set! I was a little surprised the condo cost more than most of the houses we’ve seen online.

So wish us luck…we have a long road ahead!

1. Maureen

March 21, 2006 at 11:42 am

It’s scary, but once you own, you’re going to wonder why you ever wasted any money on renting.

Good luck!

March 21, 2006 at 1:46 pm

Well I would have done it years ago but didn’t have the money. I’m excited about the whole idea.

3. Blueyes

March 21, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Oh good luck 🙂 I’m going to start looking for a house too as soon as I graduate and get another job and get my brother in laws boat out of my name, his credit is trashed. My then I will have at least one retirement check behind me as I can retire from the hospital in 4 years and can get another one before I turn 60 🙂 Of course winning the lottery would be nice 🙂

4. Gemini

March 23, 2006 at 10:19 am

Isn’t it exciting! I can’t wait to start the buying process.. And the decorating will be hard but worth it in the end… 😉

March 23, 2006 at 10:21 am

I would love to pick your brain about what you’re going through at some point, by email or phone, because I’ve got all these questions.

6. Gemini

March 23, 2006 at 10:27 am

When I see you next Thursday we can chat… 🙂 we ar going to start all over in the next few weeks.. So most likely we will be doing this together… like the last time we moved! LOL hehe

You should talk to my uncle this way you have someone that can move you in the right direction… 🙂

I just hope we get the kind of house that we are looking for with the right space and for the right price with out alot of “work” I expect that we will have cosmetic work to do but as for the other stuff like structural work I am worried… but we will see

For now the things to look at is price, Location, and the taxes in the town that you are looking to move. all that will be figured into your monthly priceing. 😉

We can chat and I will get you my uncle’s info so that you can have him help…

March 23, 2006 at 10:30 am

Oh ok, I stupidly sent you an email being all nosey. I hate feeling completely clueless in situations, which obviously happens a LOT. Good thing Erik has a clue. It just seems really tough unless you have gobs of money or if you just live 10,000 miles away from work.

April 16, 2006 at 1:36 am

Hi all,
    yes, having alot of money for a down-payment is great for keeping the purchase loan down… you have a smaller loan against the current APR, etc. This is why most young couples can’t buy a house 🙁
    The resulting monthly payment is just out of reach for most Americans versus renting. (And I have found this to be true as a 10x renter and a homeowner.) Scrimp and save to drop that big lump including an extra $2,000- $3,000; depending on the final cost of the house; for closing costs, taxes, fees, and nail salon bills for the real estate agent… (yes , they get a HUGE cut from the closing)
    We will ALL have the homes of our dreams VERY SOON!
    Keep the faith and be wary!
    Love,