Now is the time

Now is the time to put forth that extra bit of effort and determination to get healthy. Spring (and tank tops) is around the corner and to start now means it’s possible to shed enough weight in a few months.

Changes I’ve made recently that you might consider as well:

• I’m switching entirely to whole wheat/grain because white bread/pasta is not only bad for me but makes me feel like shit.
  • I’ve been making daily smoothies that have whey protein in them. Not only do they fill you but they give you a lot of energy.
  • Adding protein like almonds and string cheese.
  • Low-fat milk is good for you and filling.
  • The point is to eat foods you like that also make you feel good, not as hard as it sounds.
  • Going to Curves at least 3x a week and I always workup a sweat.

I’m going to start posting more of my thoughts and information I find on weight loss here more often. You can find it under fatfighter.

1. Cheryl

February 22, 2006 at 8:29 am

you probably need more time than 3 months… there’s this guy i know, who swore off all sugar drinks for 3 mths, and lost10kilos/about 22 pounds? it’s not much, but it certainly is healthy considering mostly what he had were plain water.

February 22, 2006 at 8:44 am

Yeah I know that it’s a process and will take longer than spring but I had just been thinking about how right now is when to start really making changes for spring. It may not be huge changes by then (in how we look or feel) but it will be a good start. I just don’t want to go into Spring with how I feel now.

3. Gary

February 22, 2006 at 2:24 pm

I have been drinking 1% milk and 1/2% milk for so many years that they actually taste better to me than whole milk.

BTW, I think the most important thing about an eating routine is how long you stay on it. Sounds like you are on the right track.

4. Gry

February 22, 2006 at 4:36 pm

Hey, good luck with that! I’m already having to consider my food habits so I’m with you on eating healthy.

5. Brian

February 22, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Hey Robin!

One little suggestion… be careful with the string cheese and almonds. They have some protein, but the majority of their calories are derrived from fat, so unless you’re on atkins (which is a big no-no as well), they are dangerous! A quarter cup of almonds (which is about a handful) has over 200 calories and over 18 grams of fat (more than 25% of your daily recommended allowance). Whole grains are key though!! 🙂

Sorry for bringing out the dorkery, but I have always had an interest in nutrition… I read labels constantly, you can’t take me to a grocery store.

February 22, 2006 at 4:41 pm

You sound like Erik although he’d marry cheese if he could.

I don’t eat a lot of almonds although today sucked so bad being I’m all PMSy…it SUCKS.

Gary – I’m sure if I could just keep with something I would be doing so well.

7. Brian

February 22, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Oh no, don’t get me wrong… I LOVE cheese and almonds. I can’t even buy smokehouse almonds anymore because I’ll eat the whole jar as soon as I open them (and there are very few foods I’m like that with).

And I would get on a plane to vegas and elope with cheese tonight if it let me. Nuts and cheese are just a bad source of protein because they’re so high in fat. That definitely doesn’t keep me from eating them though.

The key to it all is not to try different diets, but to just be conscious or what you eat and, like everything in life, to do it all in moderation. Easier said than done though, I’ve probably gained 20 pounds this winter.

February 22, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Well believe it or not that’s why I am trying to just eat good stuff at this point…I’ve been doing pretty well I think.

9. StationeryQueen

February 22, 2006 at 8:59 pm

I’m inspired by your 3xs a week thing. I ate ice cream last night and feel awful today. Back to eating good and working out! Thanks for the added inspiration!

🙂

10. Kery

February 23, 2006 at 4:47 am

I switched to low-fat milk at the beginning of 2005, and to be honest, now, the only thought of whole milk disgusts me. Even half-whole doesn’t seem appealing anymore. Everybdy told me “bleh, low-fat, it must taste like water”, but hey, I love water, so I guess it helped 😉 (Seriously, I feel “less filled with fat” when I drink it.)

And almonds rock.

February 23, 2006 at 6:58 am

Stationary – glad to help! Although the last couple days have been just horrible with it being TOM and all. No energy and completely cranky. Oh yeah and craving sweets!

Kery – Actually I grew up on skim milk if you can believe it but Erik grew up on whole milk. So now we compromise and have 1% which I’ve gotten used to now…I hate whole milk although I kind of like it in my coffee. I agree with you on it tastes like it’s full of fat. Now if I can just go back to when I hated fastfood.