Wedding Registries

I’m going to a bridal shower today for a friend of mine from college. I’m happy for her and excited for the day but for someone like me who’s not family and not really a part of the wedding I’m just basically watching someone open gifts for 3 hours. Still I’m going to go and enjoy it as much as I can…even though it’s all the way in Mattapoisett (sp).

Erik isn’t a fan of registries but when I get married I definitely want to go that direction. I think registries are practical and if you are trying to start a life together it’s the only real way to go. I think it’s pretty stupid to not go the registry route because then you end up with a bunch of things you never needed or wanted…this way you say “hey we really need a toaster or we really need towels.” I guess it’s all pretty silly but if people are going to spend their money for me on my wedding I want them to get something I will use.

What are your thoughts on registries?

1. Lushy

January 21, 2006 at 10:51 am

I think registries are great, if the people who are registering are reasonable. I have seen registries where the chose only top of the line stuff. The cheapest thing on the registry was well over $100. Call me cheap, but if I need to get a both a bridal shower present and a wedding present, I’m not going to spend that much.

2. Jennifer

January 21, 2006 at 12:46 pm

I think registries are wonderful tools! When Doug and I got married, we registered both at Macy’s and Target which I think gave an option to those who wanted to splurge or those whose pocketbooks weren’t so deep.

Since we lived together and since we already had an established household, we didn’t register for a lot, since we didn’t NEED much. Mainly the china and crystal from Macy’s and some replacement appliances and linens from Target.

Of course, I didn’t have a wedding shower since I’m alll alone out here in California. LOL But we rec’d a lot of nice gifts for our wedding, some from the list, some not, some were variations of our gift list which were just dandy with me.

3. StationeryQueen

January 21, 2006 at 2:39 pm

We got everything we wanted from our registries and had expensive and less expensive items. We also registered at a department store and Target. That way, everyone could spend what they could/wanted to. I think it’s awesome. Many people aren’t good gift-givers and need all the help they can get! 🙂

January 21, 2006 at 5:52 pm

I think it makes the gift giving a lot easier. I think it’s good to go with a reasonable place and a little higher level place. Like Target and Pottery Barn 😛

5. Gemini

January 21, 2006 at 6:25 pm

I think that registries are great you know Pea and I used one… I feel like it is a great guide for those that don’t know what you really want..

Not to mention how much fun they are for you and for your guy… 😉

Just give him the price gun thingy and they start to like it alot more.. 😉 It is shopping with someone elses money!

I can help you when the time is right!!! hehe

January 21, 2006 at 6:34 pm

You are too kind…but we gotta stop buying stuff or we’ll have nothing left for our registry.

7. Maureen

January 23, 2006 at 10:34 am

We already had everything we really needed to live, when we married, too. Pots & pans, towels, sheets, etc. But, we were moving into a new house, so, in addition to registering at Target for a few of the things that we liked, we also registered at Home Depot 😀