A safe kind of drama

Ok I admit it; I watch General Hospital everyday and I’m proud. Well not so much proud but not ashamed at least. I used to hate soap operas; I thought they were a waste of brain cells, I still am not sure that isn’t true.

I think it was maybe Freshman year of high school a friend told me I should check out the show because there was this cool girl Robin on it. So I checked out the show and was right away hooked on the couple Karen and Jagger. Now after school everyday from 3 to 4 I had to find out what would happen next. I watched as Robin and Stone fell in love and then Stone dying of AIDS. I watched the new girl Carly come into town and tearing everyone apart. I watched Elizabeth fall in love with Lucky, they became my favorite couple ever on General Hospital.

What I wonder is, what is it about soap operas that sucks us in? I’m not unaware of the thin plot lines and the cheesy dialogue at times. Every time someone comes back from the dead I roll my eyes and try to not become completely disgusted. What I think it is about soaps is they are this drama that is safe. You are always fairly confident your favorite character probably won’t die or will find love again with someone else. You always know that five times a week they will be there, unlike other show that go on breaks or even get cancelled.

So to me General Hospital is my comfort television. Maybe it’s not the healthiest entertainment in the world but like an Oreo cookie it sure satisfies for the moment.

1. jill

January 16, 2006 at 12:56 pm

I love the Quartermain fights. They were better tho with the other Edward. One good reason to watch—no reruns!. Have you ever noticed that noone really works? All the “mansions” have chain locks on the front doors?

January 16, 2006 at 1:00 pm

😆 it’s pretty amusing to see all the things that don’t add up. Like when someone flies to another country they seem to get there as fast as if going to Kelley’s.

3. StationeryQueen

January 16, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Oh my goodness. You’re taking me back. Karen and Robin and Stone! I actually watched it in the 80s, when I was in, like, 6th grade, with Robin’s parents, Robert Scorpio and Anna Devane. Wow. It was some great after-school entertainment!

January 16, 2006 at 7:08 pm

I didn’t watch it as far back as Robin’s parents, I missed that but I saw the whole Jagger and Stone thing…sometimes I wish I could go back and see those episodes.

5. awakener

January 17, 2006 at 3:23 am

oreo… interesting…. let me do a little test

what do you feel and think if i say : 666, nothing, nefer, nihil, black, unknown, fear, etc…

and now… time, chronos, division, space, emptyness….

it is not without any meaning… but the true meaning is hidden

that dosent mean that it’s absent

or that it is life-thretening… but it is indeed “evil” forces that are
    “put” there to hide even better the truth .

( the true power and freedom, happiness and understanding )

6. Maureen

January 17, 2006 at 11:03 am

GH was my soap, back in 1982 or 1983. I watched it for Luke & Laura, John Stamos (Blackie) & Rick Springfield (can’t remember his characters name).

I can’t imagine where I’d find time to watch a soap, these days. :rofl

January 17, 2006 at 12:48 pm

Awakening – you are my mysterious blogger.

Maureen – Did you know Rick Springfield is back and has a son?

8. babs

February 3, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Rick Springfield is on GH again? Get out!!

I was of the old GH w/ Maureen… Luke and Laura’s wedding… rivaled the Prince of Wales and Diana’s…

I have no time for them now either…Life intrudes..

But I can see the appreciation of them…. No..it’s not the best acting.. not the best scripts or storylines….but it’s a zone… It’s somewhere you can “go” without thought… and just enjoy the entire play on life happening before you…

February 3, 2006 at 1:57 pm

With DVR I fastforward a lot 😉
    Yep Rick Springfield is back and dying currently of something with his liver. Oh and some dude just came back…Robin’s father who was supposed to be dead…he has a brittish accent.

10. Maureen

February 3, 2006 at 1:58 pm

OMG! It’s not Scorpio, is it?

I may just have to start watching it again for that

February 3, 2006 at 2:03 pm

I think so. Robin is furious with him and was crying saying he lied to her and her mom. He saw Luke and they were like old buddies or something. If you find recaps it might tell you for sure…I’d never seen him before.

12. babs

February 3, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Luke is still on there??? Not the original luke…can’t be.

February 3, 2006 at 6:57 pm

Yes, Luke as in Luke and Laura. He has a grown daughter and his son Lucky is married. Laura is in a mental institution.