Online relationships gone bad

I’ve made some wonderful friends over the years online. I think I started making friends online around 1998 or so.
I think the relationships that went bad are the ones that stand out the most. The problem with having a relationship that is purely online is you don’t have that physical interaction with the other person. Have you ever said something online and it was taken the wrong way? Did you wish you used that 😆 or 😀 smilie to get your tone across?

In my online life unfortunately friendships have ended and relationships have soured. I used to care deeply about this because this person I once chatted with on a daily basis has now become awkward or impossible. There really needs to be a handbook on how to handle online relationships and how not to ruin it.

With a recent problem I had with a fellow blogger I now stand back and wonder exactly what happened. We had a disagreement (it happens), while not on the computer his comments ended up in Spam, I corrected the weird Spam problem and tried to explain it to him but as I see it whatever friendship we had seems to be gone. I go to his blog from time to time but it’s not the same. I really enjoyed commenting on his blog and getting into discussions with him but I guess things change.
A new year is starting and I’m not going to get into anymore of these rediculous situations, real life is hard enough as it is.

1. Mona

December 31, 2005 at 1:36 pm

Like you I’ve been meeting online friends since the mid 90s. I agree about the physical being next to you part. The interactions with someone on type may be quite different when you’re having a face-to-face confersation.

Those I’ve met irl 10 yrs ago through the web I still consider my friends and still exchange holiday cards with but not so much online.

I still meet friends online but I have no expections. I’ve learned even CAPITALIZED typing can give off bad connotations.

2. marie

December 31, 2005 at 3:33 pm

To be honest, on-line relationships that went bad for me were with people who built a false impression of themselves, personality-wise.

December 31, 2005 at 3:44 pm

Most of the time I guess I’d have to say the same.

4. dee

December 31, 2005 at 3:56 pm

Wonderful. I find even people I lose touch with, say if I am not around a computer for even 2 weeks at a time it feels like I’m out of cliches. It’s weird the friends I made are all really high maintanence.

But I cope, after all making online friends is easy, keeping them is hard.

5. J.D.

January 2, 2006 at 4:38 pm

Hey Robin!

Speaking of online friends not keeping in touch…yeah, I’m bad about that 🙁 LoL

Work has been mad crazy for me lately, and then with holidays, family life, and the new baby on the way, my time is limited these days, lol.

Good to see you are doing well!

January 2, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Good to see you too JD…yes life gets in the way a lot…nothing any of us can do about it. I’d rather give up some of my online life than give up my real life.

7. Angel

January 4, 2006 at 5:05 am

*sneaks in quietly* Dear Robin, don’t feel bad if things don’t turn up the way you expected them to be. Friends come and go.. you still have me, albeit I’ve been MIA for some time. I learned something from few of my good friends, online ones – those who walk away from you because of small issue, they are not really friends. Besides, they are not the whole world to you.

On a side note, did you get my card?

January 4, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Angel – I’ve definitely been learning this over time.

Yes…I got your card. Sorry I didn’t let you know…it was v. sweet.