My Brother and I

Me and BroMy brother is my only sibling. My brother is almost 7 years younger than me. My brother and I barely know each other and I think everyone has been patiently waiting for us to get to the same level so we could interact like siblings should.

I know at one point I adored my brother, when he was born I think I was really happy to not be an Only anymore and I probably figured I finally had someone to boss around. For the first few years I think we got along pretty well but that may have been because he hadn’t yet learned how to talk back to me. My mother says it wasn’t until we took a family trip to Canada that we started bickering and ever since then we’ve been distant I guess.

I have a few memories of my brother and I when we were kids. I remember dressing him up like a girl and calling him Matina. I remember him throwing a rubber duckie at me and giving me a fat lip. I remember MANY “Mom tell Robin to stop looking at me” and “I was sitting here first” but the memories don’t go much farther beyond that.

Things I remember fondly (or not so fondly) of Matt growing up was how indestructible he was. He’d fall on his head over and over but it never seemed to stop him from running. He was great at getting in trouble like the time he decided he and his friend should run around on the roof of the house 😯 I remember he was always dirty either food or actual dirt. I remember he was this adorable little boy with strawberry blonde hair and chubby cheeks. I remember he was so cute up until the day he decided he didn’t have to do what I told him to do anymore.

For the past 15 + years our conversations have mainly been during forced family dinners or holiday gatherings or him telling me how un-cool I am. Most of the replies I used to get from him were grunts and considering his music taste for a while was hardcore rap the conversations never went anywhere.

Now he’s 21 and seems to be growing up. Last he told me he’s into Stevie Wonder now, which I’m still having a hard time processing. So with the recent visit and the fact he’s coming back to my house this week for a holiday dinner I’d say it’s definitely progress. Considering I feel I’ve been through a lot I hope he lets me help him along the way since I know he feels a little lost right now. I have all the faith in the world that not only will he grow into a wonderful man but that he and I might someday become friends.

1. Maureen

December 21, 2005 at 11:46 am

Sounds like he is maturing & that there are many possibilities for you to have a great adult relationship with each other. I know that I changed both my attitude & my way of life about a thousand times between my teen years & my late 20’s.

Here’s hoping you find a great friend in each other, over the next few years

December 21, 2005 at 12:51 pm

I hope it only gets better.

3. StationeryQueen

December 21, 2005 at 1:02 pm

I hope that for you, too. And I hope my older brother wakes up one day and starts to act more like friends. Still doing the distant family gathering chat. I hope it’s not too late.

4. Angel

December 21, 2005 at 9:24 pm

Time flies and how people have changed over the years. Bickerings between siblings are common. Been there, done that. I’m glad we don’t bicker anymore because it’s just silly 😛

And oh, me and my sister, we locked our brother in a cupboard before because he was a pain in the butt 😛

December 21, 2005 at 9:45 pm

Haha! I wish I’d thought of that tactic 😆

6. Angel

December 22, 2005 at 4:34 am

My brother still remember that cupboard incident 😛 we didn’t let him out, mum did and me and my sister got whacked 😛

7. David W. Boles

December 22, 2005 at 3:45 pm

Robinskov —

I would be careful here if your true intent is to heal your relationship with your brother and not just garner comments. I can’t think of a man alive — let alone a blood brother — who would find this type of public blog flogging appealing or worthwhile… especially when you say “I remember dressing him up like a girl and calling him Matina.” Deadly. Cruel. Public. Forever.

If you don’t believe me, call him us and read this entry to him in whole and ask your brother how he feels about you.

December 22, 2005 at 3:47 pm

I tease him about this kind of thing all the time…it was a long time ago. If I were worried I wouldn’t have done it but I thought it made an interesting story to tell. I don’t get many comments so I really don’t post for that reason but I do try to make my posts as interesting as possible for the reader.

9. David W. Boles

December 22, 2005 at 6:11 pm

Robbins —

Kidding him and then memorializing it online forever and ever are two different, angry beasts. If you have his permission for this post, okay then, the pain is his alone. It’s certainly an interesting story, but I’m not sure how much good it does in rebuilding your relationship with your brother. Is that a difference that mattes to you?

December 22, 2005 at 6:58 pm

To be totally honest with you I hadn’t really looked at it in the way you are portraying it. I was just trying to point out how different our relationship (if you can call it that) was back then. Teasing and poking fun at siblings I’ve always considered to be part of the relationship. But so I don’t look like a total asswipe I will forward this post to my brother who I don’t think has ever read my blog.

11. David W. Boles

December 22, 2005 at 7:05 pm

Hello Ms. Robkin!

I think you’re doing the right thing. I never even MENTION Janna in a post unless I have her permission first and 95% of the time I get turned down: “No, you can’t blog about that” and I respect her decision before publication because if I ask after publication and she doesn’t like it I can never take it back. I think Google grabs some blog posts within four minutes and once you’re in the search returns it is nearly impossible to extricate yourself so your post lives forever online in a place that makes someone you love uncomfortable… not so good!

12. David W. Boles

December 22, 2005 at 7:11 pm

It’s not nice to put me on your Spammer list, Robin!

13. David W. Boles

December 22, 2005 at 7:12 pm

I’m adding you to my Spammer list now.

December 22, 2005 at 9:39 pm

I don’t know how you ended up on my spammer…I’m new to the whole spamming thing. You better not have put me on your spam 😛 One of my other friends ended up on spammer somehow, I will have to keep an eye on this thing.

I don’t know I never really thought of it that way obviously. I write about my boyfriend all the time and he’s never cared one way or another. I guess since most of my friends and family don’t read my blog or even achnowledge it’s existence I don’t worry too much about who I talk about…I also try not to use names as much as possible.

December 22, 2005 at 9:40 pm

Oh and I sent him the link, I bet anything he doesn’t even respond to me at all regarding it although I am seeing him tomorrow for dinner.

16. Angel

December 22, 2005 at 11:30 pm

My opinion, it’s ok to look back and laugh at those silly memories. We can’t simply erase it because it’s part of us, and it’s been years. I don’t dress up my brother in girly dress though because it didn’t cross my mind at that time? When the 3 of us talk about the cupboard issue, we would laugh at each other. How silly kids can be at that time, not sure about now though.

Robin, I’m sure your brother won’t mind you blogging about him. It’s growing pains back then and both of you are adults now. I don’t think he’s going to bicker with you over this blog entry.

I blog about my boyfriend and such on my blog. He doesn’t know about it few months ago but since I moved to the new server, I told him about it. He was surprised initially but he got used it to now, haha.

17. Maureen

December 23, 2005 at 10:32 am

I’ve got 9 siblings & I wouldn’t have a problem with any of them talking about me like this about the past and about their feelings. :shrug: I’d think it was sweet that they were thinking about me.

18. Marinade Dave

April 19, 2007 at 12:21 pm

That was a very nice post about your brother and shows the interaction between most families and siblings. There is nothing wrong with what you wrote.

What a weirdo Boles is. He writes the rules and breaks them. He’s written about me. Did he ask for my permission? Absolutely not! I’d like to know if he wrote NBC for permission to publish their logo on today’s scathing post.

April 19, 2007 at 12:23 pm

What did he post about you?

20. Marinade Dave

April 19, 2007 at 1:28 pm

He was mad because I answered a comment left on my blog about the “Tomb of Jesus” being found. It’s on the “About” me at the top of the page. He didn’t like my comment at all. How dare anyone disagree with him!