Sorry, No Pity

What constitutes having money problems?

To be poor I’d say means you can’t afford food or shelter or are really struggling to have both. Being poor means you have gotten to the point of living on the street and your only comfort is the clothes on your back. If you have food in your refrigerator (or a refrigerator at all), a house or apartment to stay out of the cold or even the access to internet then you cannot cry poverty.

Sitting here in my own living room with the heat on, watching cable and drinking hot aple cider sure there are things I don’t have that I want. I’d love to own a house, I’d love to go on tons of vacations and I’d love to buy whatever I want whenever I want but hey that is life. I have it wonderful and despite not always having “enough” money for all the leisures of life I have it really great.

What I’m trying to say: Poverty is not a word to use lightly.

1. David W. Boles

November 23, 2005 at 11:12 pm

I agree with you, Robin: Hard-put and well-said! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. John

November 23, 2005 at 11:15 pm

A very appropriate post on this Thanksgiving – especially with all we have to be thankful for relative to all those who are really struggling now. Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings to you and yours on this holiday ๐Ÿ™‚

November 24, 2005 at 9:59 am

David – yeah well sometimes even I need a reminder of how nowhere close I am to being poor.

John – Thanks…same to you and yours.

4. David W. Boles

November 24, 2005 at 10:12 am

Yes, Robin, “poor” and “poverty” are specific words that have great meaning and they should be sparingly employed.

November 24, 2005 at 10:13 am

Just like love and hate. We all have to be careful of the words we use in this world.

6. David W. Boles

November 24, 2005 at 10:33 am

Yes. I’m beginning to think there’s really no difference between love and hate except the impulse to kiss. If there’s a kiss, there’s love. If there’s no kiss, there’s hate. :mrgreen:

November 24, 2005 at 10:36 am

๐Ÿ˜† Well I’m just saying that to say you either love or hate a person is something big. I try not to say either unless I really mean it. I’ve said “I love you” to one too many guys that I didn’t mean it and that just never ends up well.