Angy parents boycott bakery

article link

CHICAGO — Dan McCauley has been running his Andersonville bakery and coffee shop, A Taste of Heaven, for 14 years. People of all ages enjoy the treats, but he says some kids acting devilishly have made A Taste of Heaven less divine.

What are your thoughts on this?

I would like to congratulate this man on a job well done. Nothing is more frustrating than going into a shop and have kids running all over the place being loud. Now if I go to McDonalds I would expect roudy kids but at a bakery…I’m probably trying to read a book.

Is it too much to ask for kids to behave themselves to a degree?

1. duane

November 14, 2005 at 4:02 pm

I think that the people that will take offense to things like this are selfish and don’t think that they should have to control their kids. Do you know how many times I see parents just letting their kids run wild; and I walk the other way? That is exactly what I would do here, I would leave the bakery because of those brats. I usually don’t blame the kids, because often times, their parents should step up and do something! (I know that isn’t every kid in every situation, but I do think that it is a lot of them… at least the ones I have seen) The parents that are boycotting the place, are probably the problem kids’ parents anyway, so perhaps that is doing exactly what the guy wanted; giving his customers some peace and quiet.

And since when is use indoor voices offensive? it isn’t like he put a blow up photo of Paris Hilton’s noo noo up on the door!!?!?!

November 14, 2005 at 4:08 pm

Well said Duane. I think that some parents just think since they are parents everyone should just respect whatever they do. It’s one thing having a child and raising it…it’s another thing to be a parent.

Whenever I do see a child who is behaving really well I often even compliment the parent…it’s quite refreshing these days.

3. Maureen

November 14, 2005 at 4:24 pm

I think that having special rules for children at a business, that don’t also apply to adults, would keep me from going there. His sign does say ‘children of all ages’, but, still, it could be read as applying to children, only. I think there may have been a more diplomatic (and, therefore, more profitable) way for him to deal with the issue. But, it is his business, he’s welcome to do what he wants as long as it doesn’t break any laws.

I do believe that children need to be taught to be a part of their parents everyday life, but from the complaints that I hear from people on-line, it sounds like many parents aren’t teaching their kids that kind of thing. That’s really sad for those kids.

It’s not fun, as a parent, to have to stop your relaxing cup of coffee & remind your kids about inside voices and proper, polite, public behavior -and- maybe even having to cut your relaxing short to leave the coffee shop (or wherever) if your kid just doesn’t get it that day. But, it’s all part of the responsibility of being a parent.

I can’t really remember ever being bothered by kids, back in my pre-kid days, at least not enough for me to think the problem was endemic. But, between my mom’s daycare busines & my sibling’s kids, I’ve been exposed to preschoolers on a regular basis throughout my life. Maybe I was just used to them.

November 14, 2005 at 4:29 pm

It’s entirely possible I haven’t been around kids enough. The last time I was around a kid for a significant period of time was when my brother was young (he’s turning 21 in a week or so). I wonder if the guy’s business picked up more or died down after that sign.

5. Kery

November 15, 2005 at 5:14 am

Hmm, given the demon spawn that I see running at times in the various coffee-shops I go to, I don’t think this man is wrong. Besides, we all know how the saying goes: “only Truth hurts”. Those righteous parents feeling so angry at this sign, isn’t it because they’re somewhat feeling like the man has struck a chord regarding THEIR own children? Honestly, I wouldn’t see what other reason there is to feel *that* angry. Boycott, perhaps (hell, if you can’t keep your kids quiet, by all means, go to another store where they accept your screaming seed!), but angry? As if it was a shame that not everything in a town is for the children? If parents don’t want to talk the responsiblity to, OMG, actually *parent* their kids, then they’d better not have them in first place.

November 15, 2005 at 8:34 am

Well said Kery.

7. BigDaddy

November 15, 2005 at 11:56 pm

I’m a Dad, and I think some places just aren’t for kids; adult video stores, machine shops, and some coffee shops/bakeries that cater to “the drier set”. Just because your dog can crap in my park doesn’t mean your animal child has run of the Earth just because he or she is a human. Let’s show some civility! That’s how I was raised. Your kid is NOT a bumper sticker for civil disobedience!