I feel like an Only

A fellow blogger I visit pretty often posted this about being an Only Child and I came to the decision I basically am an Only except for the fact that I have a brother. There is almost a 7 year age difference between my brother and I which means I had nearly 7 blissful years as an Only.

I think that has a lot to do with how I am now. I love my space…I love being alone for hours on end. In fact I almost dread spending too much time with anyone really. Maybe my brother barging into my peaceful life has made it so I don’t like visitors much. He’s like a visitor that never went away.

My brother and I have almost no relationship whatsoever. It makes me a little sad but then again I’m used to it by now. I have no idea what he’s doing with his life unless my parents tell me. My brother and I have never been on the same wavelength.

So therefore I am proud to be an Only…emotionally at least.

November 3, 2005 at 2:41 pm

Great slogan!

2. Gemini

November 3, 2005 at 3:11 pm

LOL I am glad that I am not an Only now, although if you asked me in high school I would have given anything to be an Only… LOL

Now I love my Sister.. go figure.. the older I get the more I want her around..

That and now I have a Brother (in-law) and maybe another sister soon! I think that it rocks! big family

November 3, 2005 at 3:13 pm

I look forward to have some sibling-in-laws 😀

4. Gemini

November 3, 2005 at 4:06 pm

hehe! wake me up before you go go!

5. groovygrrrl

November 3, 2005 at 6:13 pm

I too am an Only. I guess it’s cool to be an Only. I never knew any other way… Along the path of my life I’ve adopted people to fill the role of brother, sister, or whatever I needed at the time-whether they liked it or not 🙂

6. Crystal

November 3, 2005 at 7:37 pm

I was an Only for 8 years, and I’m another one who enjoys my space, something that annoys the husband now and then. It’s only been over the last 3-4 years that I’ve been able to be in the same room with my younger sister and not want to shake her silly.

November 3, 2005 at 7:38 pm

Yeah my bf loves being around me and while I do love his company I do look forward to me time too.

8. Maureen

November 3, 2005 at 10:46 pm

As one of 10, I’d just like to say that there are many times in my life when I longed to be an only child.

😀

9. Angel

November 4, 2005 at 12:37 am

I have a wonderful relationship with my siblings. We used to fight when we were younger, as in kids but not anymore.

November 4, 2005 at 8:21 am

Angel see that is what is supposed to happen. My parents are still waiting for my brother and I to get along.

11. Fragile Musings » Blog Archive » My Brother and I

December 21, 2005 at 12:52 pm

[…] I know at one point I adored my brother, when he was born I think I was really happy to not be an Only anymore and I probably figured I finally had someone to boss around. For the first few years I think we got along pretty well but that may have been because he hadn’t yet learned how to talk back to me. My mother says it wasn’t until we took a family trip to Canada that we started bickering and ever since then we’ve been distant I guess. I have a few memories of my brother and I when we were kids. I remember dressing him up like a girl and calling him Matina. I remember him throwing a rubber duckie at me and giving me a fat lip. I remember MANY “Mom tell Robin to stop looking at me” and “I was sitting here first” but the memories don’t go much farther beyond that. […]