Baby showers

I’ve decided it’s not fair to have a baby shower at work. I mean they don’t have engagement parties or wedding showers at work so why a baby shower?

To be honest I wish I didn’t have to go but if I didn’t go I would have been the insensitive person. I even tried to talk “baby stuff” with people there but everyone just looked at me funny. When I saw all the presents I just said “maybe we should have just gotten her diapers” 🙂 Was that bad?

Maybe someday I can have a no babies shower at work where they give me martini glasses and ooooh maybe a bar for my dining room. That would be sweet!

1. Kery

October 29, 2005 at 1:32 am

Well, having a baby shower at work means to me that probably one was already organized at home (for family and close friends), or is about to be held there… so doesn’t it scream a bit like “me, me, me” and greed? :/ Unless your work place is heavily bent on a strong “family feeling”, but I guess it can put one at unease, too (when private life and work life get too mixed, I personnally don’t like it; I feel invaded). Even then, I feel this is intrusive. So what, if you surf a few blogs at lunch pause, you’re unproductive, but nobody cares about spending hours cooing over a future baby? 😉

I know, I know, the original purpose of a baby shower is so that the future parents can get stuff to help them get started with First Baby, but really, every time I hear of one, they do it for every child, even if it’s the 4th, and don’t you dare offering useful gifts such as diapers (gee, given how much -this- costs, you’d think one would be happy to be packed with them). No, it has to be cute and expensive clothes that the baby will wear for maybe one month. Or the trendish latest in SUV stroller. Or even less useful things. Okay, I’m no motherly material, I’d probably make my own baby wear a towel only just because it’s useless to buy tons of small clothes. Still.

Ah well, I think it was already clear before that I’m no fan of baby showers either 😀

2. Carla

October 29, 2005 at 8:30 am

I don’t mind baby showers, but you know, I want kids and my biological clock’s alarm has been screaming for the past few months.:D

At my office, we’ve got about 100 people working there, so if there’s one for someone I don’t know that well, I don’t feel guilty about not going.

I do think, however, (and this is done at my office) that if you’re going to have a shower for one occasion, you should do it for all. It’s not fair to have just baby showers and not wedding showers and vice versa.

October 29, 2005 at 8:37 am

Thanks Carla. This woman was a head of my department so I didn’t have much of a choice. I did leave early though.

October 29, 2005 at 8:40 am

It was a surprise shower. In the end I just don’t see why a baby shower is ok but I’m guarantee if I got married I wouldn’t have a wedding shower.

So the lesson learned here kids: having babies is more important than ANYTHING in this world.

5. Gemini

October 29, 2005 at 11:22 pm

Um I can’t throw you any kind of shower at your work.. but I can throw you one if you want!:) And I will throw you a not having babys shower too! 😉

October 30, 2005 at 8:46 am

Cool! I don’t want anything at work anyway.

7. Maureen

October 30, 2005 at 11:56 am

I remember thinking the same thing way back when, that someone should have a ‘not even dating, but still need stuff’ shower for me, too. 😀

October 30, 2005 at 12:07 pm