What the…

Can someone rationalize this for me?

1. Sean

October 26, 2005 at 9:32 am

I guess its to help taht bond between mother and baby. looks pretty crazy to me however

October 26, 2005 at 9:34 am

5 years thought??? I think that goes beyond bonding.

3. Maureen

October 26, 2005 at 10:21 am

I’m all for breastfeeding as long as the child -and- mother are both comfortable with it, and as long as the mother honestly feels like it’s a good thing for the child’s emotional health. I’m thinking that by 2 or 3 it should just be a ‘for comfort’ thing and by 4 the mom should be helping the child towards more independent ways of finding comfort in their lives. I realize, though, that every parent knows their child & their child’s abilities & needs more than I could ever possibly know them -but- I would hope that every parent also takes a strong look at their own motives when they go past a few years of age, though.

October 26, 2005 at 10:25 am

A good way to look at it Maureen. I just see that and think “creepy” but then again I’ve never breastfed.

5. Trisha

October 26, 2005 at 12:26 pm

I breastfed my autistic son for four years. I hardly think calling it crazy is appropriate.

October 26, 2005 at 12:30 pm

All situations are different which is why I agreed with Maureen. I’ve never breastfed so what do I know?

7. Sean

October 27, 2005 at 12:53 pm

Let me rephrase then Trisha…anything past a year is too long, unless there are extenuating
    circumstances. Most children by the age of one, first of all have teeth, and second of all have
    been introduced to solid foods.

8. trisha

October 27, 2005 at 8:57 pm

The WHO recommends at least two years.

Too long is just a ridiculous statement.

October 27, 2005 at 9:02 pm

Ok this has gotten out of hand…it’s all a matter of opinion. In my opinion (having never breastfed or had a child at all) is by the time they start having teeth it’s probably been too long. People have a lot of opinions about things in my life that they know nothing about but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.